London, March 24: The UK will review the security at the Indian High Commission here following “unacceptable” acts of violence by pro-Khalistan protesters, Foreign Secretary James Cleverly has said, asserting that the government takes these matters “very seriously” and would “robustly” respond to such incidents.
Around 2,000 protesters waving Khalistan flags descended upon the Indian mission here on Wednesday for a planned demonstration and hurled objects and chanted slogans amid a heightened security presence and barricades.
Unlike the violent disorder on Sunday when the India House came under attack, the protesters were barricaded across the road with uniformed officers standing guard and patrolling the area throughout.
The protesters, including turbaned men, and some women and children, had been bussed in from different parts of the UK and chanted pro-Khalistan slogans.
In a statement issued on Wednesday, Foreign Secretary Cleverly said the British government takes such matters very seriously and would ‘robustly’ respond to the attack as it works with the Metropolitan Police to make changes needed to ensure the security of the mission’s staff.
As a sign of the action already taken, the minister cited the heightened security measures in place at India House for a planned demonstration on Wednesday, which included several police officers standing guard outside the building, as well as many mounted officers on horseback patrolling the area along with helicopter surveillance.